You are here
Programs: How We Work
From community centered initiatives that build upon local, citizen based efforts, to policy councils that build collaboration between state, federal, non-profit, and private sector leaders, VCRD has designed and implemented highly effective programming to identify and address key issues that impact rural life. VCRD is a neutral, non-profit organization that brings Vermonters together across political lines and organizational boundaries to advance rural community and economic development throughout the state.
VCRD has built a reputation for integrity as a neutral, non-partisan mediator of public processes, setting the framework for communities and by policy leaders, that lead to direct and practical results in addressing fundamental challenges at the local and state level. For information about how VCRD can work with your community, contact us at 802-223-6091.
Current Programs & Initiatives
Helping communities build and implement priority actions that increase economic vitality and affordability in a time of climate change.
Helping businesses and nonprofits in small VT towns use online tools to spur economic development and improve disaster resilience.
A way for towns to engage and bring together their residents, set common goals and directions in a neutral and facilitated structure, and access resources that will help them take action on those goals.
Policy Councils provide forums for in-depth study and concrete policy recommendations around issues of importance to rural Vermont.
The "Creating Prosperity & Opportunity Confronting Climate Change" Summit on February 18, 2014 will mark the start of the new Vermont Climate Economy Council.
Summits convene state and federal leaders and encourage their cooperative goal-setting and mutual investment in response to key rural priorities in Vermont.
VCRD is facilitating a non-partisan and broad-based partnership to support local agriculture and forestry, grow and attract farm and forest entrepreneurs, and conserve Vermont’s Working Landscape far into the future.
The VT Community Leadership Award is presented each year to celebrate Vermonters who exemplify "dedication, integrity and honorable service to their community and to rural Vermont."
Past Programs and Initiatives
- Summit on Creating Prosperity & Opportunity Confronting Climate Change - 2015
- A 2nd Summit on the Future of Vermont's Working Landscape - 2013
- NEK Today and Tomorrow: a Northeast Kingdom Summit Conference on Managing Change for the Best Future of the NEK - 2013
- Summit on the Future of Vermont's Working Landscape - 2010
- Northeast Regional Rural Summit - 2010
- Summit on the Future of Vermont - 2009
- Advancing Creativity and Innovation in Rural America - 2008
- Advancing Vermont’s Creative Economy – 2007
- Local Power: Energy and Economic Development – 2006
- Bridging the Divide: Conflict and Paths to Community Success – 2005
- The Structure of Planning – 2004
- Strengthening Rural Communities – 2003
- Rural Economic Development – 2002
- Housing Work Plan Development – 2001
- Water/Wastewater Infrastructure, Youth Issues, Downtown Development – 1999
- Collaborative Work Planning – 1998
- Rural Development Resources – 1997
- Housing, Community and Economic Development Programs – 1996
- Climate Change Economy Council, 2015-2016
- Working Landscape Council, 2011-2012
- Council on the Future of Vermont, 2007-2009
- Vermont Rural Energy Council, 2006-2007
- Vermont Council on Planning, 2004-2005
- Vermont Council on Culture and Innovation, 2003-2004
- Vermont Agricultural Viability Council, 2002-2003
- Vermont Forest Products Council, 2001-2002