e-Vermont initiatives in Calais were spearheaded by the Calais Elementary School, Calais town government, and other organizations. In just over a year, this team succeeded in bringing the following accomplishments to Calais:
- Fifty netbook packages – along with weekly training for students and teachers – to ensure that every student in grades 4, 5 and 6 receives a 21st century education;
- A free online neighborhood forum at frontporchforum.com that 629 subscribers (92% take-rate) in Calais continue to use to buy and trade household items, promote local events and volunteer needs, discuss local issues, share wildlife sightings, and recommend local businesses;
- Upgrades to the Calais municipal website including an updated govoffice.com template and redesign services;
- Two workshops on the topics of Internet Safety for Parents and Evaluating Websites (for students and parents) conducted by the Vermont State Colleges at Calais Elementary School;
- Read about many other accomplishments in the Calais Re-Cap (pdf).
For more information about e-Vermont activities in Calais, contact:
Calais e-Vermont Steering Committee