Pownal was the first community to participate in VCRD's Climate Economy Model Community Program (CEMCP), named Empower Pownal. CEMCP is community-driven process with local leaders, VCRD, Green Mountain Power, and Efficiency Vermont to cultivate economic development, innovation, and affordability in the face of climate change. Read the Empower Pownal Report and Action Plan. Through the process, community members identified 5 priority areas for future action:
- Develop a Network of Farm and Food Producers in Pownal to Share Resources, Market Together, and to Connect Unused Land with New or Expanding Farmers, Foresters, and Other Producers;
- Develop More Trails and Rejuvenate the River to Provide Better Outdoor Recreation Opportunities in Pownal;
- Reduce Barriers to Starting and Growing Businesses and Agriculture in Pownal;
- Grow Jobs in Pownal through Business Incubation and the Redevelopment of Underutilized Properties; and
- Build a Community-Wide Green Up Process in Pownal to Address Roadside Litter and Illegal Dumping.
VCRD will continue to provide support to the Task Force Groups in Pownal as they work to implement these 5 action ideas. Visit http://vtrural.org/town/pownal for stories and news about our work with Pownal.